Thursday, November 05, 2009

Putting on the costume!

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Colossians 3:12

Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.
Romans 13:14

This Halloween, I dressed up as Katara, the last water-bender of the Southern Water Tribe in Nickelodeon's Avatar: The Last Airbender.

It was a dream come true. I've had a childish fetish for that cartoon ever since my brother introduced it to me a while back.

I'm thrilled for the movie version coming out this coming summer.

But anyway, that show definitely has nothing to do real life truth. So the point of this blog is not the show. However, after getting all set for our annual costume party, it struck me how much I was wanting to act like Katara after putting on her costume. I wanted to say her "lines." I wanted to learn tai-chi and fling around water, fighting the 'bad guys.' I wanted to try to make her facial expressions and mimic her behaviors. The same thing with the people I was walking with to the costume party - Aang the Avatar was trying to get the laugh down right, Wall-E was trying to say everyone's name with the perfect Wall-E accent, and our German Amish friend was practicing the German phrases he'd picked up for the roll. Putting on those costumes transformed all of us into those characters!

I thought, "Wait! Doesn't the Bible say something about this? We should clothe ourselves with Christ, right? And what does that mean? Wow, well, it means, we want to act like Him. We want to mimic Him. We want to be Him when we are clothed in Him!"

I thought that was pretty neat.

I also thought of that other verse from Colossians - clothing ourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Wow. That means we want to act that way and be that!

Cool to think about. I pray that God can help us to everyday put on Christ and to be Christ to all those around us!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That is so cool! You write such fabulous imagery. It's exciting to hear the Word applied in everyday ways.

5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home