Thursday, November 05, 2009

I Stand Corrected

In our E5 classroom this year, we have a mango plant growing, an avocado plant growing, and a couple of houseplants. I told the students that this is our classroom garden and that they are welcome to bring in other things to grow in our garden. One day, one of my students brought in a cup with a leaf covered over the middle with a little bit of loose dirt.

"Oh... what's this?" I asked.
"I got it at school."
"Okay....um, do you think it will grow?"
*shrug*
"Alright, well, we can try it. Thanks for bringing it in."
I'm sure my own skepticism was evident.

Later, I was talking with some of the other teachers about it. I said patronizingly, "Oh, this poor guy, he thinks this leaf is going to start to grow. Can you believe it? Hee hee... silly boy."

Well, a few days later, I looked into the cup, and much to my surprise, there were little root like things growing from all the points of the leaf. I was stunned. And I felt foolish for doubting the leaf. I stood corrected.

I was so excited to tell this student later that, much to my surprise, his leaf was indeed beginning to.... grow!

When I told him, his face looked surprised at first (perhaps my own skepticism had affected him?) and then very very... happy! He put his V-fingers into the air and celebrated with his classmates. "Yah!" they said.

Oh, me of little faith. How could I put the abilities of the leaf in a box? And how much more do I but the abilities of God in a box. The leaf surprised me... just as God surprises me again and again! :)

Just like Sarah laughing at God's promise of a child (Genesis 18:12). We say, "Impossible... hahaha..."

And God says, "You just wait and see!"

1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

:)

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home