Earthquake Class
Today, during a lesson on realistic stories and fantasy stories, my E5 students and I experienced an earthquake.
The room and the floor started to shake. "Oh my! An earthquake!" I observed. And at that moment, we all kind of froze and looked at each other with wide eyes. I've experienced quite a few here, but none that I can remember ever feeling while teaching. My students seemed to want direction of some kind, but coming from Midwest America, I have yet to master the art of earthquake survival. Tornado? I know what to do. Fire? I got that down pat. Earthquake? Still haven't figured it out. So I simply said, "Ah... okay, it's okay. Just wait."
Then it dawned on me that they, being Taiwanese, may know what to do. Plus, this was a rather long earthquake and I figured we might want to do something.... run to a doorway? I asked, "Well, do you know? What should we do?" "Go under the tables!" was their unanimous answer. "Alright! Go! Go! Go!" I encouraged them. We all crawled under the tables.
The earthquake continued. It felt long. We watched as our overhead projector screen swung back and forth on the ceiling at the front of the classroom impressing the students.
It was exciting. And praise God we're all okay. The students kept telling me about "9-21" which was a horrible earthquake here in 1999. They were all babies then, but they talk about it with fear and wonder. I looked up the earthquake at this website: http://www.cwb.gov.tw/eng/index.htm and found out it was a 6.0. That website has Taiwan's earthquake reports as well as weather, typhoon news, and more if you ever want to check it out. It's pretty interesting.
God be with you and bless you this day!
The room and the floor started to shake. "Oh my! An earthquake!" I observed. And at that moment, we all kind of froze and looked at each other with wide eyes. I've experienced quite a few here, but none that I can remember ever feeling while teaching. My students seemed to want direction of some kind, but coming from Midwest America, I have yet to master the art of earthquake survival. Tornado? I know what to do. Fire? I got that down pat. Earthquake? Still haven't figured it out. So I simply said, "Ah... okay, it's okay. Just wait."
Then it dawned on me that they, being Taiwanese, may know what to do. Plus, this was a rather long earthquake and I figured we might want to do something.... run to a doorway? I asked, "Well, do you know? What should we do?" "Go under the tables!" was their unanimous answer. "Alright! Go! Go! Go!" I encouraged them. We all crawled under the tables.
The earthquake continued. It felt long. We watched as our overhead projector screen swung back and forth on the ceiling at the front of the classroom impressing the students.
It was exciting. And praise God we're all okay. The students kept telling me about "9-21" which was a horrible earthquake here in 1999. They were all babies then, but they talk about it with fear and wonder. I looked up the earthquake at this website: http://www.cwb.gov.tw/eng/index.htm and found out it was a 6.0. That website has Taiwan's earthquake reports as well as weather, typhoon news, and more if you ever want to check it out. It's pretty interesting.
God be with you and bless you this day!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home