Monday, August 10, 2009

Typhoon!

Arriving back in Taiwan on the evening of Saturday, August 8th, I was a a little alarmed to learn that there was no way I was going to get "home" to Chia Yi that evening. A significant typhoon had hit Taiwan the day before I got back, and it was still causing big problems in transportation. From what I could tell, the storm really hadn't caused any problems for my flight coming in, however (except for a little turbulence) so I hadn't thought there would be any problems once we landed. I figured the worst of it was past. But it seemed like the whole population of Taiwan was at the airport trying to go south at the same time I was and that trains and buses were serverely limited in what they could do due to flooding. The the only answer I got at the bus counters at the airport, when inquiring about how to get to Chia Yi was "may-oh-ban-fa," which I understand to mean, "There is no solution."

The next morning, since I was jet lagged, I was wide awake before the sun was up and decided to try and catch the earliest high speed train I could. A brave taxi driver picked me up and took me to the train station where I learned that only two trains were going to be running that morning and there were only non-reserved tickets available for them. What this translates to is: standing room only. I was very thankful to squeeze on to the first of the two trains of the morning. As we zipped south on the island, flooded roads, flooded fields, and even some flooded buildings flew past the windows. But I ended up making it to Chia Yi just in time for the Sunday morning service at my church, which was pretty cool. What better way to enter back in your city than by having the taxi drop you off with all your luggage on the dripping wet doorstep of your church building? It was a funny and joyful reunion with many of my friends and family in Christ here in Taiwan. (Which was a joy magnified also by the straight-to-church return of a group of teachers who had been stranded south of Chia Yi in Kaohsiung the day before.)

So, now I'm back for year five and already have a day of summer school-camp/camp-school under my belt. My fingers and hands are already rebuilding my guitar and scooter-driving calluses and I'm already back to wondering simultaneously, paradoxically, why on earth I choose to work here and how in the world there will ever be a job I love more.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

A lady told me Sunday after a presentation that only a few people have the personality and stamina to do what we do, and only we understand it :) Good luck on year 5!

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anna said...

I love this post. I have zero memory of this day I wrote about. (Due to exhaustion perhaps??) But I love that I blogged about it. I also am amazed at how much I can miss the work in Taiwan while also loving and growing in my new vocations as wife and mother in the States. Praise God for all He does and provides!

4:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home