Bats and Blessings
My sister got to come visit for three weeks! It was awesome. We got to travel quite a bit considering that I was starting a new semester of teaching. She got to go with lots of Taiwanese friends to new places and have lots of cultural experiences. Unfortunately, she did not have the opportunity to try "stinky tofu," but there always has to be something for next time, hey?
So the last night my sister was staying with me in Chia Yi, we had driven over to the school campus after our Friday Night Bible Study in the city, so Rachel could try driving my scooter around. (She opted for not trying my scooter out on "the road of death" by my apartment. Surely by miraculous intervention, I haven't seen an accident there yet, but the way cars and scooters zip around the corner of my apartment building, Rachel and I both had the same thought as soon as the suggestion to give the two-wheeler a test run was spoken: Let's go to campus.
On our way back, it was late, after midnight probably, and I was driving with Rachel on the back. I noticed a spastic-ly flapping creature by the light of one dim street lamp. "Ah, a bat," I thought, when suddenly, it dipped down, disappearing out of sight, and WHAM, hit me on the right side of my helmet, also hitting part of my jaw and neck. I expected to see a scratch when I got to my apartment, but Rachel and I both looked without seeing anything. I washed it off, asked many people their opinion, even asked my doctor in the States, and learned that I was probably alright. I guess there hasn't been a case of rabies on Taiwan for "decades" as the doctor here said, plus there is presently a worldwide shortage of the vaccination? Yikes! So please, those of you not living in a rabies free place, beware of bats, etc! (I feel a little bit like I'm heading toward doing a fund raiser to raise rabies awareness like that one "Office" episode... haha...)
In other news, the decision of where I would like to be next year is needing to be made. I realized, while journaling last night, that I've been treating it way too much like a math or physics problem with lots of factors, variables, and things that need to be calculated and figured out. Well, then it occurred to me that probably a better plan would be to listen to God's Word:
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:33
Remembering that we look to God for guidance, protection, and provision helps put everything else in perspective.
I will say that my heart seems to be overseas, but that I'm also curious as to how God is working out different things in my life, and what the future, now or later, will hold. My desire for a husband and family are there, as are a desire for growth and new challenges, but so is (and more so) my desire to serve as a teacher and to be sharing the Gospel. I'm curious to see how God will continue to use my life and how He will continue to guide and provide. Remembering His promises gives me peace in the midst of a lot of unknown. One of the many blessings of knowing the Savior - peace. :) May the peace and assurance of Christ fill your heart today!
So the last night my sister was staying with me in Chia Yi, we had driven over to the school campus after our Friday Night Bible Study in the city, so Rachel could try driving my scooter around. (She opted for not trying my scooter out on "the road of death" by my apartment. Surely by miraculous intervention, I haven't seen an accident there yet, but the way cars and scooters zip around the corner of my apartment building, Rachel and I both had the same thought as soon as the suggestion to give the two-wheeler a test run was spoken: Let's go to campus.
On our way back, it was late, after midnight probably, and I was driving with Rachel on the back. I noticed a spastic-ly flapping creature by the light of one dim street lamp. "Ah, a bat," I thought, when suddenly, it dipped down, disappearing out of sight, and WHAM, hit me on the right side of my helmet, also hitting part of my jaw and neck. I expected to see a scratch when I got to my apartment, but Rachel and I both looked without seeing anything. I washed it off, asked many people their opinion, even asked my doctor in the States, and learned that I was probably alright. I guess there hasn't been a case of rabies on Taiwan for "decades" as the doctor here said, plus there is presently a worldwide shortage of the vaccination? Yikes! So please, those of you not living in a rabies free place, beware of bats, etc! (I feel a little bit like I'm heading toward doing a fund raiser to raise rabies awareness like that one "Office" episode... haha...)
In other news, the decision of where I would like to be next year is needing to be made. I realized, while journaling last night, that I've been treating it way too much like a math or physics problem with lots of factors, variables, and things that need to be calculated and figured out. Well, then it occurred to me that probably a better plan would be to listen to God's Word:
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:33
Remembering that we look to God for guidance, protection, and provision helps put everything else in perspective.
I will say that my heart seems to be overseas, but that I'm also curious as to how God is working out different things in my life, and what the future, now or later, will hold. My desire for a husband and family are there, as are a desire for growth and new challenges, but so is (and more so) my desire to serve as a teacher and to be sharing the Gospel. I'm curious to see how God will continue to use my life and how He will continue to guide and provide. Remembering His promises gives me peace in the midst of a lot of unknown. One of the many blessings of knowing the Savior - peace. :) May the peace and assurance of Christ fill your heart today!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home