Sunday, September 09, 2007

Let's Give Them Something to Talk About

I started writing this post a couple/three/four? weeks past... I'm going to post it now. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For the past two years, I have confined my running to the Concordia Middle School campus and a track. This may explain the decline of my running enthusiasm and ability. A runner, in my opinion, needs an open road. Therefore, today, I decided that this year I was going out on the open road.

The problem is that the "open road" where I live is rather congested with stray dogs and scooters. But today, I tried it, and I loved it. As I was running past one particular elderly lady sitting outside her home, I smiled a "ni hao" and gave a nod. She suddenly lit up with a kind of grin that you give someone who has just cleverly flattered you, making you giggle. She clearly found me amusing.

But why? Here's what I'm guessing:
1) I'm a foreigner, a relatively tall, relatively light-haired foreigner at that. (This in and of itself is enough to amuse people.)
2) I'm running.
3) I'm running down the road. In the scooter lane actually. Facing oncoming traffic. Who does that?!
4) Wearing shorts and a t-shirt with my sleeves rolled up, I'm exposing a good deal of my skin to the evil sun. I mean, I'm not even wearing a hat or sunglasses. I'm scandalous. (Some scooters going past me are carrying riders with long pants, long sleeves, and helmets or sun hats.)
5) I'm smiling.

Another lady was out working in her garden, sporting long sleeves, and a large wide brimmed hat. At this point, I was coveting shade from passing power lines, so I finally had the sense to admire her (and her culture's) sun-blocking attire. She calls out in Chinese, "Good morning! Impressive!" That was just the encouragement I needed to make it up the last hill back to campus. Woot woot!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay, now, it's been a few weeks since I typed that and I've enjoyed running the roads quite a bit since then. I still share a wave and smile with that little old lady each time I run. Actually, I often think, "Oh, that lady will miss me if I don't run today." Maybe I'm full of myself for thinking that, but it keeps me motivated, so rock on.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prayer requests:
* Please pray for the three new teachers as they continue to grow accustom to Taiwan, the ministry, the challenges, the blessings, and just the daily life here. And thank God they're here!

*Also, if you could pray for me, I'm taking an online class this semester and it's stressing me out a little bit. Please ask God for an extra little measure of organization and focus (traditionally, not my strong points).

Thanks much!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anna! Nice to see a post. Yes we will keep you in our prayers, as usual. What online class are you taking?

Aunt Jeannette

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jai Yo! :-)

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home