This Christmas (Joy to the World)
This evening, I decided to revive the PM run since the AM run hasn't been happening lately. I brought along my headphones and music, selecting among others, some Christmas music. (It IS Advent time!) One song came on, and I got goosebumps. Trust me, it wasn't because it's cold here... because it's not. But the message of this song touched my heart in a new way tonight and right away I thought, "I want to blog about this!" I've heard this song before, but perhaps because of various conversations we've been having here lately about faith... living faith... I was really convicted by the words.
The song is titled, "This Christmas/Joy to the World" by Toby Mac.
Joy to the world
Let heaven and nature sing
Let heaven and nature sing
Now Jonnie never got his wish on December 25
That's what he said when he left the orphanage
9 years old, but Jonnie was an old soul
Gonna spend his first Christmas in a real home
Showed me a picture that he drew the night before
Was a picture of a man standin' outside a door
I asked him who it was and he said someone I only
see in dreams
Comforts me when I cry myself to sleep
Father of the fatherless
Be with your sons and daughters this Christmas
This Christmas
Believe in angels?
Jonnie asked me starin' at the sky
I said I do and saw a sparkle in his eye
Big brother for the weekend respondin' to the season
Took the chance that givin's better than recievin'
Two nights, a new family, some holiday cheer
We laughed and sang
Came on a midnight clear
We gave, recieved, and as we headed to close
We looked to the heavens and it started to snow
Down blessings
Father of the fatherless
Be with your sons and daughters this Christmas
(You ain't livin' til you choose to give love and joy and
peace to one of His)
Father let us not forget
The children who are all alone this Christmas
(You ain't livin' til you choose to give, you ain't livin' til
You choose to give)
(James 1:27)
Religion that God our Father
Accepts as pure and faultless is this
To look after orphans and widows in their distress
Merry Christmas everyone
Joy to the world
The Lord is come
Let heaven and nature sing
Let heaven and nature sing
Let heaven and nature sing
Let heaven and nature sing
Believe in angels Jonnie asked me starin' at the sky
I said I do and saw a sparkle in his eye
9 years old, but Jonnie was an old soul
Gonna spend is next Christmas in a real home
These are the parts that stuck out at me:
"Took the chance that givin's better than recievin'"
and the Bible verse from James 1: "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
It also brings to mind this verse from 1 John 3:18, "Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."
Friends, we are called to be people who are active in love.
We're so good at the words. But where are those words in action? And what are those words without action?
I ask these questions of myself... and I pray that God may show me, and show us, need... and how He's gifted us to help meet those needs. I pray that He might put a tug on our hearts to reach out in a new and daring way as God's beloved and redeemed children, sharing the most excellent message, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord." (Luke 2: 10-11)
The song is titled, "This Christmas/Joy to the World" by Toby Mac.
Joy to the world
Let heaven and nature sing
Let heaven and nature sing
Now Jonnie never got his wish on December 25
That's what he said when he left the orphanage
9 years old, but Jonnie was an old soul
Gonna spend his first Christmas in a real home
Showed me a picture that he drew the night before
Was a picture of a man standin' outside a door
I asked him who it was and he said someone I only
see in dreams
Comforts me when I cry myself to sleep
Father of the fatherless
Be with your sons and daughters this Christmas
This Christmas
Believe in angels?
Jonnie asked me starin' at the sky
I said I do and saw a sparkle in his eye
Big brother for the weekend respondin' to the season
Took the chance that givin's better than recievin'
Two nights, a new family, some holiday cheer
We laughed and sang
Came on a midnight clear
We gave, recieved, and as we headed to close
We looked to the heavens and it started to snow
Down blessings
Father of the fatherless
Be with your sons and daughters this Christmas
(You ain't livin' til you choose to give love and joy and
peace to one of His)
Father let us not forget
The children who are all alone this Christmas
(You ain't livin' til you choose to give, you ain't livin' til
You choose to give)
(James 1:27)
Religion that God our Father
Accepts as pure and faultless is this
To look after orphans and widows in their distress
Merry Christmas everyone
Joy to the world
The Lord is come
Let heaven and nature sing
Let heaven and nature sing
Let heaven and nature sing
Let heaven and nature sing
Believe in angels Jonnie asked me starin' at the sky
I said I do and saw a sparkle in his eye
9 years old, but Jonnie was an old soul
Gonna spend is next Christmas in a real home
These are the parts that stuck out at me:
"Took the chance that givin's better than recievin'"
and the Bible verse from James 1: "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
It also brings to mind this verse from 1 John 3:18, "Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."
Friends, we are called to be people who are active in love.
We're so good at the words. But where are those words in action? And what are those words without action?
I ask these questions of myself... and I pray that God may show me, and show us, need... and how He's gifted us to help meet those needs. I pray that He might put a tug on our hearts to reach out in a new and daring way as God's beloved and redeemed children, sharing the most excellent message, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord." (Luke 2: 10-11)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home