Tales From the Track
A few of the teachers here in Taiwan have begun heading north in the early morning to a place called Chung Cheng University. It is the same university where the English club is on Thursday nights. We applied for memberships to their athletic facilities and now are able to work out in a number of wonderful ways. My facilities of choice are the swimming pool (Olympic size!), the track (ah, sweet memories), and the weight/machine room. Today, let me tell you a little about my experiences on the track.
Jenny has been my running buddy on the track. The very first day we went there, an older Taiwanese man came up to us and asked if he could offer some advice. His English was broken, but quite good. He expressed his concern that we were not getting enough oxygen and it was not good for our lungs or heart to be talking while running. He insisted we not talk while running together. We thanked him for his advice and then talked about things like how old he is, how he is a retired teacher, what we were doing there, etc... which was much nicer than being scolded for talking while running. (I suppose we had brought it upon ourselves though by not just TALKING while we had been running, but singing and shouting "CHIA YO!" [GO!] as we sped around the track. Come to think of it, the guy probably just wanted some peace and quiet for his own workout.)
At any rate, we learned his name to be Mr. Guo, and we had a new friend. The next time we met Mr. Guo on the track, we were surprised to find him picking up right next to us in our run... and talking with us. I decided not to point this out. He insisted that he had see the two of us in movies. "Especially you," he said to me, "in a children's movie." I have no idea what he could have been referring to... but we assured him that we hadn't been in any movies - yet. He also told us that he was maybe a Christian, but that he didn't go to church much. We shared that going to church doesn't make you a Christian. It's knowing and believing Jesus - having the faith He gives to us - that makes the difference. But we told him he would be welcome to come to our church anytime. After a couple laps with us, he did suggest that we were breathing too hard, so we should not talk anymore. At the end of the run, Mr. Guo showed Jenny and I two interesting exercises that, if we do them before bed for 30 minutes, we "can have smaller waists and be more beautiful." I decided not to let this offend me.
This morning, after driving to Chung Cheng, walking the few meters of mossy sidewalk (they don't have ice covered sidewalks in Taiwan ever... but the moss is just as treacherous), and stretching out on the track, I began my run. I was unaccompanied this morning, and enjoying the quietness and greeness of the campus at morning. I decided to run intervals where I would pick up the pace on the straightaways and jog the bends. About halfway through my workout, Mr. Guo appeared on the track, and I waved to him. There were some other older Taiwanese that shouted something as I ran past. Then Mr. Guo shouted, "No! Slow down!" (I think the others had been telling me to run faster, but Mr. Guo didn't want me to overdo it.) One time around, Mr. Guo joined me. "Your pant is severe," I believe was the direct quote. I tried to explain to him that I wanted to be "panting" because I was working out, and sometimes you have to pant to give your heart a good work out.... sometimes, but not all the time, I assured him.
I finished my workout and began stretching. Mr. Guo continued running around the track. He would stop every once in a while on his way around though, praise my running, and offer me tips on my stretching. At one point, he pointed to my calf and then gave me a thumbs up...
Oh dear.
I think if I wanted to hire a coach here in Taiwan, Mr. Guo would be that coach. He's concerned with my wellbeing, offers helpful hints, and encourages.
As funny as I find some of the suggestions though, I really am thankful for this new friend.
Here ends today's tale from the track.
Jenny has been my running buddy on the track. The very first day we went there, an older Taiwanese man came up to us and asked if he could offer some advice. His English was broken, but quite good. He expressed his concern that we were not getting enough oxygen and it was not good for our lungs or heart to be talking while running. He insisted we not talk while running together. We thanked him for his advice and then talked about things like how old he is, how he is a retired teacher, what we were doing there, etc... which was much nicer than being scolded for talking while running. (I suppose we had brought it upon ourselves though by not just TALKING while we had been running, but singing and shouting "CHIA YO!" [GO!] as we sped around the track. Come to think of it, the guy probably just wanted some peace and quiet for his own workout.)
At any rate, we learned his name to be Mr. Guo, and we had a new friend. The next time we met Mr. Guo on the track, we were surprised to find him picking up right next to us in our run... and talking with us. I decided not to point this out. He insisted that he had see the two of us in movies. "Especially you," he said to me, "in a children's movie." I have no idea what he could have been referring to... but we assured him that we hadn't been in any movies - yet. He also told us that he was maybe a Christian, but that he didn't go to church much. We shared that going to church doesn't make you a Christian. It's knowing and believing Jesus - having the faith He gives to us - that makes the difference. But we told him he would be welcome to come to our church anytime. After a couple laps with us, he did suggest that we were breathing too hard, so we should not talk anymore. At the end of the run, Mr. Guo showed Jenny and I two interesting exercises that, if we do them before bed for 30 minutes, we "can have smaller waists and be more beautiful." I decided not to let this offend me.
This morning, after driving to Chung Cheng, walking the few meters of mossy sidewalk (they don't have ice covered sidewalks in Taiwan ever... but the moss is just as treacherous), and stretching out on the track, I began my run. I was unaccompanied this morning, and enjoying the quietness and greeness of the campus at morning. I decided to run intervals where I would pick up the pace on the straightaways and jog the bends. About halfway through my workout, Mr. Guo appeared on the track, and I waved to him. There were some other older Taiwanese that shouted something as I ran past. Then Mr. Guo shouted, "No! Slow down!" (I think the others had been telling me to run faster, but Mr. Guo didn't want me to overdo it.) One time around, Mr. Guo joined me. "Your pant is severe," I believe was the direct quote. I tried to explain to him that I wanted to be "panting" because I was working out, and sometimes you have to pant to give your heart a good work out.... sometimes, but not all the time, I assured him.
I finished my workout and began stretching. Mr. Guo continued running around the track. He would stop every once in a while on his way around though, praise my running, and offer me tips on my stretching. At one point, he pointed to my calf and then gave me a thumbs up...
Oh dear.
I think if I wanted to hire a coach here in Taiwan, Mr. Guo would be that coach. He's concerned with my wellbeing, offers helpful hints, and encourages.
As funny as I find some of the suggestions though, I really am thankful for this new friend.
Here ends today's tale from the track.

2 Comments:
Hi Anna,
I'm a good friend of Jenny Meier's and an avid fan of reading the Taiwanmania blogs. I loved your "share & tell" of the Mr. Guo. What a random and wonderful connection you and Jenny have made. Although we've never met, Jenny and her friends are in my prayers!
Thanks, Emily :)
Post a Comment
<< Home