Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A Lineage of Grace

Two years ago, I began reading a series of novellas by Francine Rivers. A Lineage of Grace, they are called. Five books, historical fiction, based on the five women mentioned in Jesus' geneology in the Gospel of Matthew: Unveiled (Tamar), Unashamed (Rahab), Unshaken (Ruth), Unspoken (Bathsheba), and Unafraid (Mary). I read the first two two years ago and enjoyed them. I appreciated how Rivers took the reader there... to that place, that time, that culture, and into what may have been the thoughts and prayers of each of these amazing women... that at the same time struggled and faced remorse and received grace... just like us.

Well, this summer, a friend lent me Ruth and Mary. Reading Ruth, I was so inspired! I found my heart longing to be like her. I want to trust God and be a woman of faith like her. Rivers definitely takes some liberty to fill in conversation, inner thoughts, motives, characters, but also keeps true to the Biblical and historical account through all of it. I recommend these five novellas, quick reads, to anyone. Even thoughsome may argue they are aimed at more of a female audience, I think any man who reads these could receive valuable insight, and also encouragement. Throughout each book, Rivers looks at the Biblical account from the perspectives of all the main characters, male and female.

I think there's something valuable for spending time thinking on our brothers and sisters of faith, and even though we've always known that these people really did live, reading these books makes them all the more tangible and brings the lessons of their lives to the forefront. I love it. I'm so encouraged by Ruth... and now I'm in the middle of Mary. I got goosebumps (the really good kind) up and down reading the account of the birth of Jesus Christ with Rivers writing from Mary's perspective.

Now, remember, these are just little novellas. Maybe they are too silly at times, or maybe you don't care for Rivers' writing style. That's alright. :) Rivers writes herself in the beginning of each book that "the ultimate authority on people of the Bible is the Bible itself. I encourage you to read it for greater understanding. And I pray that as you read the Bible, you will become aware of the continuity, the consistency, and the confirmation of God's plan for the ages - a plan that includes you."

As we read and study God's Word, may we be inspired by the countless men and women of faith who have gone before us and have lived lives that can bless us with examples, warnings, lessons, blessings, and encouragement! May we think about who they were, their times and places, the challenges they faced, the culture in which they existed, and praise God for including each of them and each of us in His blessed family!

And if you get a chance to check out these books, go for it! And if anyone has read the one about Bathsheba, let me know what you think. I've yet to find a copy of that one.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen! Thanks for your comments and recommendations. I would recommend Francine Rivers' novels to anyone. She makes history come alive. Hope you had a great birthday, by the way!
Aunt Jeannette

2:03 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I've read two of her books and loved every single page. I'll have to pick these up too. If you have not read "Redeeming Love" you need to do so and also one called "And the Shofar blew" both incredible books. The first one is about Hagar and the other is just fiction. Hope that you are doing great half a world away!

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dearest Nanna! I just finally got caught up on all of your blogs... I laughed, I cried, and I was inspired, as always. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us through your blog. I know that a lot of people really appreciate reading them... and it is good for those of us who miss you so much to get the added insight into your life. I love you Nanna!

<>< Rachel

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home