Thursday, April 13, 2006

False Alarm?

Today I met a giant slug that one of my students was poking at outside as we were lining up after being at the library. I, being the nature enthusiast that I am, grabbed it right away thinking, "Yes! Slimy! This is perfect! We just finished a unit on the five senses! Everyone feel the slug!" But the moment I grabbed it, the kids all started to yell like I had picked up an angry cobra. They entreated me to put down the slug and wash my hands immediately... or else I might get sick or die. Though I took their advice and washed my hands on the way back to the classroom, I asked another teacher about it later.

"Are slugs here poisonous?"
"No."
"Why did all the kids say I could die from touching it."
"Oh, because it could suck your blood."
"Isn't that a leech?"
"Yes, like a leech."

Well, there you have it. And this thing was seriously big enough that it probably couldn't taken a lethal amout of blood out of me... had it had any sort of mouth. Do slugs have mouths? I've got to research this stuff.

Blessings to you in Christ. Thanks for your continued prayers for the team here, and for the hearts of all those we work with and talk with daily.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

great story... i loved it... you get rave reviews from me! have a happy easter.

2:19 AM  
Blogger jsincj said...

I'm glad the big blood sucking monster did not any blood out of you! I agree with you that it would have made a great lesson extender. God's blessings

1:46 PM  
Blogger Mandi Lindner said...

Hey, you could've used it in a lesson teaching medical vocabulary...you know...when you get taken to the hospital for the life-threatening amount of blood loss...

12:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » » »

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home