Difficulties
(I'll warn you... this is a loooooong entry... I blabbed a lot. So that's a fair warning. :) )
I mentioned in a mass email that this has been one of the most difficult years of my life. Someone responded that, while reading my blog, it certainly didn't sound like I was having a difficult time in Taiwan. So here are my reflections on that comment...
I suppose it's all a relative matter of perspective. It is true that I am not starving, I'm not being shot at, I'm not scraping to make a living or wandering the streets homeless. And I am thankful for that, very thankful. But I don't know why I am as blessed as I am to have food and water each day and a roof over my head. If being without those things is the definition of "difficult" one has, then yes, this year has been by no means difficult, rather it has been quite easy.
However, I am going on a different definition of difficulty. The definition I was usuing would go more along the lines of the one found in the Merriam-Webster dictionary... "1. Hard to do or make. 2. Hard to understand or deal with."
I am a first year teacher. Every teacher I've ever spoken to on the matter has agreed that the first year of teaching is often the most difficult. I am in a different culture. I don't understand what goes on around me a lot of the time. I'm learning a different language that is proving quite difficult or "hard to understand" for me. I've been diagnosed with depression and am being treated. I've missed and will miss more weddings of dear friends and other gathering and events in the life of people very dear to me in the States. I've been attacked and questioned in my beliefs this year (by myself and others) more than any other time in my life.
I guess my point is that I think it is (no offense) very silly for someone to say my blog doesn't support my claim to this being a difficult year. The circumstances themselves, despite any comments by me, would point toward this being a year of new and many challenges and difficulties. I try not to blog at all if I'm going to whine or bemoan circumstances. I do not see how that could be edifying to anyone. With my blog, I try to post news that is honest, but can also give encouragement and reminders of what I am continually learning about God's faithfulness and goodness. If you look at it, I do mention things that are hard for me, but often in ways that point to resolution as in pointing out a verse from the Bible that has been a comfort, saying just what I was feeling or crying over. In the mental and emotional anguish that I have felt this year, I have cried out many things to God... and like Job, have no understanding of any reason why. But what prevents utter despair is the faith that God gives... the eyes to see the Jesus Christ on the cross and the risen Jesus Christ, the conqueror of death and suffering. These are eyes that are full of hope and endurance.
And I think often we see "difficulties" as things that are "bad." On the contrary, some of my favorite things (in fact, maybe most of them) are difficult. My favorite classes in college were the ones that demanded the most work and focus. My favorite games are ones that make a person think about "difficult" strategy. One of my favorite pastimes - running - is not done because it's easy. The challenge is what makes it worth it. Even some bad things like the depression I've been dealing with, have already begun to bear good fruit. I am gaining new understanding and insight. I am able to see God's faithfulness even when my mind can't comprehend it. Praise God for the gift of faith He gives. It's the only thing real. All the sense I try to make of life leaves me confused and withdrawn. Only through the eyes of the faith and trust of a child is there any hope to be seen.
As a person who knows Christ as my Lord and Savior, I think perhaps that I perceive difficulties in a different manner than someone who does not. My Jesus says it plain that there will be difficulties in this world. Maybe not just the "smaller" ones I'm dealing with here.... but the "bigger" ones like living in the midst of war and death, living hungry, living homeless, living sick with no one to help. But it is my hope and prayer that, like Job, were the Lord to remove every blessing He has given me, I could still, by His grace, say the same as Job, "The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised." (Job 1:21) Job knew that God was God and trusted God to remain faithful and had the faith to see beyond the difficulty, the loss, the pain, and the suffering of the present time. Incredible.
Since God tells us that in this world we will have trouble (but to take heart because He has overcome it!... in John 16:33) I've actually sometimes been alarmed at the fact that I do seem to "have it so good." Like I said, I am generally healthy, I have family, I have food and clean water. I have a safe place to live and sleep at night. Truly incredible. Why do I have these blessings when so many do not? I don't know, but here're two other thoughts that follow:
1) Not to take those things for granted. All these things are temporary. The only garantee I have is that this world will bring it's share of trouble but thankfully, Christ has the final word and because of God's sacrifice for all people, I look toward a new, wonderful and eternal life with God.
2) In Luke 12:48, Jesus says, "...From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." This is what I understand those to be saying... Yes, God has given me many blessings, but does that mean I can just sit and enjoy them completely oblivious to the needs of so many around me? No! I've been given gifts and resources so that I may use them.... so that I can be God's hands and feet to those in need. Now, I know God provides ways for His people to do this, near and far. But maybe that's something worth thinking about all the more? How can I use my health? My money? My talents? My time? to meet the needs of those around me? We are called to share Christ's Gospel in words, oh yes, and in that to share hope that can see people through all times of challenge and blessing! However, we are also called to provide for the poor, the sick, the windows, the orphans... I don't think I remember that enough as I sink into the comfortable schedule of everyday life. Hmm. But how do we help in bigger ways? Maybe we can pray for more opportunity big and small and ask for the love and grace to make use of those opportunities to meet needs when we see them? What do you think?
At any rate, back to difficulties, here are some more verses that perhaps share some insight:
Romans 5:1-5 - 1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 3Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.
2 Corinthians 1: 3-7 - 3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 5For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. 6If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. 7And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.
1 Peter 4: 12-14 - 12Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. 13But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. 14If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.
Oh, and one of my favorite accounts in the Bible is in Acts 5:17-42. :) It is a wonderful story about God's faithfulness, and also God's people being persecuted because of His Name, and yet their incredible faith!
Wow. There are many more... practically all of God's Word speaks to the hope we have in and despite difficulties. But those are some verses I just found.
Hmm... and some of my favorite verses to remind me that suffering and difficulties (of any degree) are part of this life... but still are temporary as we hope in God... are the Psalms.
Okay. May the Lord Jesus Christ strengthen you in Him, encourage you in your faith, as you serve Him in the work set before you! :)
May He give you joy in hope and patience in affliction. (Romans 12:12).
Thank you for the continued prayers.
God's blessings to you in Christ Jesus, our RISEN Lord and Savior!
I mentioned in a mass email that this has been one of the most difficult years of my life. Someone responded that, while reading my blog, it certainly didn't sound like I was having a difficult time in Taiwan. So here are my reflections on that comment...
I suppose it's all a relative matter of perspective. It is true that I am not starving, I'm not being shot at, I'm not scraping to make a living or wandering the streets homeless. And I am thankful for that, very thankful. But I don't know why I am as blessed as I am to have food and water each day and a roof over my head. If being without those things is the definition of "difficult" one has, then yes, this year has been by no means difficult, rather it has been quite easy.
However, I am going on a different definition of difficulty. The definition I was usuing would go more along the lines of the one found in the Merriam-Webster dictionary... "1. Hard to do or make. 2. Hard to understand or deal with."
I am a first year teacher. Every teacher I've ever spoken to on the matter has agreed that the first year of teaching is often the most difficult. I am in a different culture. I don't understand what goes on around me a lot of the time. I'm learning a different language that is proving quite difficult or "hard to understand" for me. I've been diagnosed with depression and am being treated. I've missed and will miss more weddings of dear friends and other gathering and events in the life of people very dear to me in the States. I've been attacked and questioned in my beliefs this year (by myself and others) more than any other time in my life.
I guess my point is that I think it is (no offense) very silly for someone to say my blog doesn't support my claim to this being a difficult year. The circumstances themselves, despite any comments by me, would point toward this being a year of new and many challenges and difficulties. I try not to blog at all if I'm going to whine or bemoan circumstances. I do not see how that could be edifying to anyone. With my blog, I try to post news that is honest, but can also give encouragement and reminders of what I am continually learning about God's faithfulness and goodness. If you look at it, I do mention things that are hard for me, but often in ways that point to resolution as in pointing out a verse from the Bible that has been a comfort, saying just what I was feeling or crying over. In the mental and emotional anguish that I have felt this year, I have cried out many things to God... and like Job, have no understanding of any reason why. But what prevents utter despair is the faith that God gives... the eyes to see the Jesus Christ on the cross and the risen Jesus Christ, the conqueror of death and suffering. These are eyes that are full of hope and endurance.
And I think often we see "difficulties" as things that are "bad." On the contrary, some of my favorite things (in fact, maybe most of them) are difficult. My favorite classes in college were the ones that demanded the most work and focus. My favorite games are ones that make a person think about "difficult" strategy. One of my favorite pastimes - running - is not done because it's easy. The challenge is what makes it worth it. Even some bad things like the depression I've been dealing with, have already begun to bear good fruit. I am gaining new understanding and insight. I am able to see God's faithfulness even when my mind can't comprehend it. Praise God for the gift of faith He gives. It's the only thing real. All the sense I try to make of life leaves me confused and withdrawn. Only through the eyes of the faith and trust of a child is there any hope to be seen.
As a person who knows Christ as my Lord and Savior, I think perhaps that I perceive difficulties in a different manner than someone who does not. My Jesus says it plain that there will be difficulties in this world. Maybe not just the "smaller" ones I'm dealing with here.... but the "bigger" ones like living in the midst of war and death, living hungry, living homeless, living sick with no one to help. But it is my hope and prayer that, like Job, were the Lord to remove every blessing He has given me, I could still, by His grace, say the same as Job, "The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised." (Job 1:21) Job knew that God was God and trusted God to remain faithful and had the faith to see beyond the difficulty, the loss, the pain, and the suffering of the present time. Incredible.
Since God tells us that in this world we will have trouble (but to take heart because He has overcome it!... in John 16:33) I've actually sometimes been alarmed at the fact that I do seem to "have it so good." Like I said, I am generally healthy, I have family, I have food and clean water. I have a safe place to live and sleep at night. Truly incredible. Why do I have these blessings when so many do not? I don't know, but here're two other thoughts that follow:
1) Not to take those things for granted. All these things are temporary. The only garantee I have is that this world will bring it's share of trouble but thankfully, Christ has the final word and because of God's sacrifice for all people, I look toward a new, wonderful and eternal life with God.
2) In Luke 12:48, Jesus says, "...From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." This is what I understand those to be saying... Yes, God has given me many blessings, but does that mean I can just sit and enjoy them completely oblivious to the needs of so many around me? No! I've been given gifts and resources so that I may use them.... so that I can be God's hands and feet to those in need. Now, I know God provides ways for His people to do this, near and far. But maybe that's something worth thinking about all the more? How can I use my health? My money? My talents? My time? to meet the needs of those around me? We are called to share Christ's Gospel in words, oh yes, and in that to share hope that can see people through all times of challenge and blessing! However, we are also called to provide for the poor, the sick, the windows, the orphans... I don't think I remember that enough as I sink into the comfortable schedule of everyday life. Hmm. But how do we help in bigger ways? Maybe we can pray for more opportunity big and small and ask for the love and grace to make use of those opportunities to meet needs when we see them? What do you think?
At any rate, back to difficulties, here are some more verses that perhaps share some insight:
Romans 5:1-5 - 1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 3Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.
2 Corinthians 1: 3-7 - 3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 5For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. 6If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. 7And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.
1 Peter 4: 12-14 - 12Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. 13But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. 14If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.
Oh, and one of my favorite accounts in the Bible is in Acts 5:17-42. :) It is a wonderful story about God's faithfulness, and also God's people being persecuted because of His Name, and yet their incredible faith!
Wow. There are many more... practically all of God's Word speaks to the hope we have in and despite difficulties. But those are some verses I just found.
Hmm... and some of my favorite verses to remind me that suffering and difficulties (of any degree) are part of this life... but still are temporary as we hope in God... are the Psalms.
Okay. May the Lord Jesus Christ strengthen you in Him, encourage you in your faith, as you serve Him in the work set before you! :)
May He give you joy in hope and patience in affliction. (Romans 12:12).
Thank you for the continued prayers.
God's blessings to you in Christ Jesus, our RISEN Lord and Savior!

3 Comments:
Thanks for the declaration of your heart here. It made me realise that not every is handed to us on a silver platter because we are christians. We experince hardships so that we can depend on God for his faithfullness. Thank you so much. God's blessings and peace as you rely on God!
well said anna... i love you dear, and look forward to seeing you this summer. you are an inspiration to me!
I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » »
Post a Comment
<< Home