Monday, December 12, 2005

Riverdance Report

Today, eight of us went to see "Riverdance" in a city a little over an hour-train-ride away. It was outstanding! I loved it. I loved the singing, I loved the dancing, I loved the instruments, I loved the clapping.

There was more to the day than Riverdance, but I am not going to take the time to go into that right now. It did involve my first experience with a very Pentecostal service.

However, I just had a quick funny story. After the show, we walked across a street, near a 7-11 (these places are everywhere and are a type of small catch all store... you can even pay your phone bill there or collect lottery winnings) to wave down a taxi. I noticed that make-upped people whom I presumed to be the talented dancers we had just clapped for were walking in small groups towards US...to buy water at 7-11? I guess I'd be thirsty too after all that amazing dancing.

Well, I was overcome with joy and excitement. I somehow don't think anyone else was quite as thrilled as I was, but well, no matter. I ran over to a group of them and asked for a picture with them. I was being goofy, and as I thanked them for the picture said, "I had to come all the way to Taiwan to see Riverdance!" One girl (and I say girl because she was definitely younger than me... much younger than I thought those dancers would be...) as she turned to walk away, said half to me and half to the guy walking beside her, "THAT's funny. Because Riverdance is in America too." She said it in a way that would seem to suggest she rolled her eyes as she said it, though I couldn't quite see her face. I didn't let that shatter my enthusiasm about Riverdance.... Ha. She thinks I'm a nutty fan who came from America for the sole purpose of seeing Riverdance. You'd think she'd be happy to hear that. Too bad I couldn't explain myself. "I live here, lady." But at least she will get a good laugh about it with all her friends. I hope. I know I did.

I've decided that James does a good job of starting up conversations with people, telling them in a non-threatening way why he's here (teacher, yes, but also to share Jesus!) and making connections with people. So in this blog, I am giving a shout out to James! I hope that I can become more brave like that. Oh. And James was the only one willing to Riverdance with me after the show. So double shout out, buddyroe.

God's rich blessings to you all in Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior! Especially this season as we celebrate his coming and look forward to his second coming!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Riverdance?? Oh man, I'm frickin' jealous. We were thinking of seeing Cirque du Soleil in Hong Kong, but got dissuaded when the tickets started at US$50 (for the back corner behind the stage) and shot up from there. Whatever happened to Asia being cheap?

1:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You are so funny! I can see you doing that. Glad you enjoyed it. I love your enthusiasm.

Have a great and blessed week.

2:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Mesothelioma settlement cancer lawyer asbestos lawsuit11 hanging closet shelves pilates Top+homeowners+insurance+companies pilates classes nyc

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home