Saturday, December 24, 2005

Christmas in Taiwan

Hello, all.

It's now officially Christmas Eve in Taiwan. I saw a picture of my family's Christmas tree back home. It's really fat and made me laugh a lot and made my heart swell. I can't lie... twinges of homesickness have come and gone a bit more as Christmas approaches... but after the joy of the Friday Night Bible Study Christmas party tonight... I can't help but feel wonderfully at home and stand again in awe of God's overflowing mercy and grace in blessing this rebellious and sin-diseased child with the opportunity to be working here.

Tonight consisted of many faces, new and old, filling the sanctuary at Salvation Lutheran Church. The Christmas story was read in English and Chinese. The first verses of the book of John were also read in both languages. There was also the Wasmund-original skit, "The Camel's Journey" which I will not try to capture the joy of that in words, but rather hope that at some point soon I can have a video recording of it up for your viewing. Then we broke into four groups and went caroling to nearby stores. Somehow, we had gained a spot on the "schedule" for this huge department store near the church and ended up on a large stage-like thig... with me on the guitar and about 15 other people singing our best renditions of Angels We Have Heard On High and Silent Night. Just stop and picture this! Other stops included a restaurant I had never noticed before and a beauty parlor. People loved it. After that, we returned to the church to eat tons of snacks baked this past week... so good, sing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus, and socialize. I had some fun conversations tonight. Nothing especially weighty, but good.

Tomorrow is a huge church program with about 31 different "acts" for lack of a better term. I will be in the skit again and also help lead the English-club Saturday school children in their portion of the performance. And I will cheer on the others singing, dancing, and doing what not, including a group put together by some of my friends here called, "Smark J." They are the ones who had wanted to do a dance version of "Silent Night." I can't wait to see what they have put together. :)

Saturday night, some of the teammates here are putting together an 11:00 candlelight service. :)

Sunday will be a Christmas church service followed by what is called the "Love Feast." This is a huge lunch to which we are encouraged to invite anyone we can. I think quite a few people from our school offices will be there! I'm looking forward to it!

I'm listening to the song, "O Magnum Mysterium" right now. For those of you who don't know it, I recommend it.

Here at CMS, yesterday was a big day of Christmas festivities such as a choral competition, a big traditional dinner, some dance club performances (amazing!), and a tree decorating contest. This was no ordinary tree decorating contest. Hopefully I can put some pictures up soon so you can see what I'm talking about.

Please continue to pray for encouragement and love within the team of teachers and missionaries here... and that God would plant and ignite faith in the hearts of the people here. Pray also that God would guide, and assurance us all of His providing. Thank you.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:19 NKJV

4:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Blessed Christmas!

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Debt legal Waterbed fill hours Comcast broadband lan Faux cabinets Europe cell phones Ice hockey machines Stretch hummer los angeles La boheme opera coat song Anesthesiology and dentists

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home