Friday, September 02, 2005

Opening the Doors to Learning

It's official. The school year has begun!

I had my two classes of kindergarteners, who were surprisingly... well behaved. I have 25 and 28 students in those two classes and what I had pictured in my mind was me spending the whole first day turning chaos into order. It was nothing like that. In fact, it was almost to a point of being so much in the other direction that it was a bad thing. I think my first class, the "ladybug" class, had just woken up from their naps... or something. They sat with mouths hanging open and eyes blinking and didn't do or say much of anything for the first twenty minutes while we played a "name game," "read" a picture book, and "sang" a couple songs. To my great relief, they did get going a bit more after all that... I think most teachers can handle rowdy students, but the real challenge is when they are simply unresponsive. Oh boy. But like I said, it improved. The second class, my "cricket" class, was pretty excited right off the bat and I really enjoyed meeting all of them.
A few of my K students:

Then it was time for my E-3ers. These are 15 students, who, like all classes in existance, run the gamut of academic ability and personality. As I was figuring this out and thinking how I would possibly be able to meet them each at their level, being only one teacher (I'm finding this to be an age old question of all teachers and hope to learn from those who have become skilled at stepping up to this challenge! Any pointers from my fellow educators are always appreciated!) a typhoon came upon CELA and we dismissed students a period early at 5:30 rather than 6:20.

Now, I don't know that it's even worth talking about this typhoon when there's so much other destruction going on in the world that demands our attention and prayers. However, this typhoon, strong winds and rain, was significant enough that all the schools in the city were called off for the day. Thankfully, I have not heard of anyone being hurt, but there were a number of trees down with banches and other debris all around campus. Mike, who has been serving in Taiwan for three years, said this is the worst he has seen in his time here. But like I said, we're all safe and sound and have been enjoying a restful indoors-day.
A picture of me talking on Skype on my day off! Instead of doing the snow day dance that a teacher-friend of mine does, I do the typhoon day dance!
Also, a picture of some of the aftermath, looking from the P.H. entryway:

Big thanks to Molly who made us a breakfast of pancakes and bacon yesterday morning and then also to her and Sam for a delicious lasagna dinner! It was incredibly appreciated!

Last night, I came across an account from Ezekiel that I thought would be worth mentioning. It's about the valley of dry bones. Ezekiel 37:1-14. If you get a chance, take a look at it. Now, I realize that the Lord was talking about what He was going to do for the house of Israel... but that includes us, or at least a lesson for us. And I was encouraged by the image here. I have been going through a "dry spell" this past year or so. Those close to me know that all too well, I'm afraid. I've not been able to define it very well except to say that I've been challenged... and empty... and well, dried up. When I was younger, some of my biggest struggles were doubts of faith, who God is, if He really saved me. Now it's more doubts about who I am, ineptness, lack of worth, lack of joy. New weapons and lies against me, I suppose. When the old ones don't work anymore, the enemy pulls out new tricks... You know what, though? (This just hit me like a new idea!) God has equipped us to stand against all the enemy's schemes... the armor of God. Ephesians 5 talks about putting on the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, and as footwear, the readiness from the gospel of peace. Also, the shield of faith, the helmet of slavation, "and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God." Wow.

Why do I have such a time remembering this?

God HAS provided a solution to every issue we face, every seemingly-endless doubt we harbor in our hearts, every lie being wispered in our ear. That soultion is Him... Jesus Christ crucified and risen, and the righteousness, the life, the gifts, and the good news we have to share because of it! That's a fact. But I suppose this side of heaven we are warned that there will be trouble (John 16:33).

...So I'm going to go back to the problem of dryness here and look at it a little more. At one point, God asks Ezekiel, "Can these bones live?" (v. 3) And I found myself anxious at the answer... can dry bones live? Can the Lord fill me again with life when I've felt so dry for so long?"

Ezekiel answers, "You alone know." I think this is a statement of faith as in recognizing God as not only the only one who knows, but also as the only one who can do anything about it... maybe like, "God only you know because only you are the one who has the power to give life!" And then, you know what! God tells Exekiel to prophesy His word, the word of the Lord! And the bones are given life and breath!

Here is what one writer had to say about it: "God produces unexpected yields of harvest in the least likely spots. God showed Ezekiel a valley filled with dry, crumbling bones. The life had gone out of them long before. God asked Ezekiel, 'Can tehse bones live?"... Ezekiel confessed, "Lord, You know." Indeed He did. By the mighty power of God's Word and Spirit, the valley of dry bones became a living host, a mighty army. The dry bones lived! By this sign, God demonstrates that, in bringing us to faith, He raises us from death to life. We are dead in our trespasses and sins, but by His grace we are made alive by His Word and Spirit. By His Son's death on the cross, our sins are forgiven. Through His glorious resurrection, we are given life eternally."

So yes, through Christ we are given life after being dead in our sins! And also, I think this reminds us that when we are dry, He is the one to renew.

I think the Lord has already led me through a lot of this "dry spell," but I must say that I look forward to looking back someday soon and seeing more clearly how I learned and how I grew because of it... and not feeling dry anymore. But regardless of any feelings, the fact remains that Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. And He is yours too! May that wonderful fact give us all a renewed joy and strength. :)

In other news, as I have been typing, "los banos" (as the small flying bathroom-infesting insects were named) have infiltrated my room and are flying between my face and the computer screen. On a scale of 1 to 10 for annoyingness, this probably rates at around an 8.9.

Noteworthy other-than-Team-Taiwan blogs as of late (well, they are all noteworthy, but I really appreciated these): Ryan talking about his first impressions of Thailand and Cassie talking about homesickness. Check them out if you get the chance.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work »

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home