The Useful Llama
At some point I really do plan on sitting down and reflecting a bit about my experiences thus far. There are great things to say about the people, scooter rides, the food, the city of ChiaYi, the wildlife, what we've learned as a team, the church we attended on Sunday, language learning, attempted phone calls, and the school.
However, I will just give a quick run down of today for the time being. Today was the first day in our offices. There is a middle school office and an elementary office, but we each have our own desk in one of them. We met our co-teachers and saw our curriculum, asked questions, received answers, and began going through the materials they have for our use at the school. It amazes me how fast everyone here has gotten down the new teachers' names. Perhaps having an Anne, Anna, Anna, helps them all learn the girls' names. :) I'm still working on names!
This morning, we also got to finish our tour of the campus. We saw all the elementary classrooms and the missionary's children school that makes up the top floor of the elem. school. I thought that was fun to see.
Tonight went out to eat at a CELA student's family's restaurant. Goose was their special dish and it was delicious! We also had the usual fried rice, tofu, and green vegetable. However, squid and starfruit were two other special additions to the meal. It really was wonderful!
Upon returning to the P.H., I was pooped. But it was time for our nightly Chinese lesson (courtesy of my friend, John).
At this point, I will give a shout out to all those learning a language right now and encourage you to sing, "Language is a Battlefield" to the tune of "Love is a Battlefield." Here's to you, language warriors!
I will also say that today was a great day for conversation. I felt like I got to know some of the people here a bit better, and it was so much fun talking with them! One conversation began when I was questioned about the llama picture I have on my computer. Granted, we talked about many things other than llamas, but before that, we needed some questions answered and found this site: http://www.greenbriarllamas.com/Uses.htm Apparently, llamas are not only entertaining, but immensely USEFUL. Who knew?! Seriously, check out this site and learn a little about our under-appreciated llama friends.
I can see why so many of the people who come to Taiwan fall in love with this island. Yes, it is hot and humid and busy, but it is also beautiful and welcoming and sincere. It's a neat gift to be able to see beyond the walls of what is familiar.
I remember when I was on my first flight towards China in the summer of 2002, one little boy just ahead of me on the plane was looking out the little plane window and suddenly exclaimed, "I can't believe Jesus made all THIS!" This encouraged me in so many ways. I think it is no coincidence that I happened to hear a little boy make that statement of faith and remind me of that fact that day. And I've often thought about that since. "Look at this land... and look at these people," I find myself thinking, studying faces as we go past in the van or on our bikes. "This is a land and these are people God made and loves so much... I hope they know that." Well, folks, that's what we're called to do... near and far. :) What a joy it is to be the hands and feet that share the Good News of the Gospel, of the love and grace of God.
Prayers: That God opens the ears and hearts of these people to the Gospel. It's encouraging to me, because although I'm considered a "missionary," there are Taiwanese Christians and pastors who are working so hard building relationships and proclaiming the Gospel! Please pray for them, especially at Salvation Lutheran Church, the church we attended on Sunday and with which the school is connected.
That God would calm our (the new teachers') hearts as we face a new work environment and curriculum. That we may have courage and patience and creativity! :)
Thank the Lord for His protection and for all He has provided!
However, I will just give a quick run down of today for the time being. Today was the first day in our offices. There is a middle school office and an elementary office, but we each have our own desk in one of them. We met our co-teachers and saw our curriculum, asked questions, received answers, and began going through the materials they have for our use at the school. It amazes me how fast everyone here has gotten down the new teachers' names. Perhaps having an Anne, Anna, Anna, helps them all learn the girls' names. :) I'm still working on names!
This morning, we also got to finish our tour of the campus. We saw all the elementary classrooms and the missionary's children school that makes up the top floor of the elem. school. I thought that was fun to see.
Tonight went out to eat at a CELA student's family's restaurant. Goose was their special dish and it was delicious! We also had the usual fried rice, tofu, and green vegetable. However, squid and starfruit were two other special additions to the meal. It really was wonderful!
Upon returning to the P.H., I was pooped. But it was time for our nightly Chinese lesson (courtesy of my friend, John).
At this point, I will give a shout out to all those learning a language right now and encourage you to sing, "Language is a Battlefield" to the tune of "Love is a Battlefield." Here's to you, language warriors!
I will also say that today was a great day for conversation. I felt like I got to know some of the people here a bit better, and it was so much fun talking with them! One conversation began when I was questioned about the llama picture I have on my computer. Granted, we talked about many things other than llamas, but before that, we needed some questions answered and found this site: http://www.greenbriarllamas.com/Uses.htm Apparently, llamas are not only entertaining, but immensely USEFUL. Who knew?! Seriously, check out this site and learn a little about our under-appreciated llama friends.
I can see why so many of the people who come to Taiwan fall in love with this island. Yes, it is hot and humid and busy, but it is also beautiful and welcoming and sincere. It's a neat gift to be able to see beyond the walls of what is familiar.
I remember when I was on my first flight towards China in the summer of 2002, one little boy just ahead of me on the plane was looking out the little plane window and suddenly exclaimed, "I can't believe Jesus made all THIS!" This encouraged me in so many ways. I think it is no coincidence that I happened to hear a little boy make that statement of faith and remind me of that fact that day. And I've often thought about that since. "Look at this land... and look at these people," I find myself thinking, studying faces as we go past in the van or on our bikes. "This is a land and these are people God made and loves so much... I hope they know that." Well, folks, that's what we're called to do... near and far. :) What a joy it is to be the hands and feet that share the Good News of the Gospel, of the love and grace of God.
Prayers: That God opens the ears and hearts of these people to the Gospel. It's encouraging to me, because although I'm considered a "missionary," there are Taiwanese Christians and pastors who are working so hard building relationships and proclaiming the Gospel! Please pray for them, especially at Salvation Lutheran Church, the church we attended on Sunday and with which the school is connected.
That God would calm our (the new teachers') hearts as we face a new work environment and curriculum. That we may have courage and patience and creativity! :)
Thank the Lord for His protection and for all He has provided!

2 Comments:
Nice llama site. I learned a lot and now kinda of a pulling at the heart to adopt one! I'm so happy you are having a great time. You are continually in my thoughts and prayers.
Love ya!!
Eat some eel for me if you can :)
Grrr --- languages!
Post a Comment
<< Home