Monday, July 25, 2005

"Prayer Card"

Hey, all!

I just wanted to announce the arrivial of my official prayer card online. You can check it out at the LCMS WM website, or by clicking the title of this entry, OR by copying and pasting THIS: http://www.lcms.org/ca/mission/prayercards/index.asp

Pretty much, it's just an info card for people to find out who is out in the field in different areas of the world. The new missionaries being sent out this coming year are all in the process of getting their cards done, so as they are completed, you'll be able to learn a little bit about the people I'm working with (Here's a shout out to Team Taiwan!) and a little bit about all the LCMS missionaries serving throughout the WORLD! It's pretty cool.

In other news, I found this little piece of paper on which I had jotted some lines on returning home after my family's vacation. Though I do claim to be an aspiring writer, and well, poet, don't you go thinking I'm sharing this because I think it's actually spectacular.... but more because I like it and think you might too. (Or maybe it will inspire you to write your OWN poem... "Gosh... she wrote and posted something like that? Well, hey, I can do that too... maybe even BETTER!" :)

Ah-hem.

"A Taste of Home"
by Anna Meyer (please respect all copyright laws ;) )

A taste of home is
The feel of the home breeze
On your fingertips.
A taste of home is
Seeing that the grass is green
On your side of the fence.
A taste of home is
Hearing your favorite radio staion
Blaring
As a familiar steering wheel
Glides through your fingers
As you round an old and friendly
Bend in your road.
A taste of home is
Feeling arms around you
Of the people you love.

Okay. It's cheesy. But I like it. And maybe writing little things like this is part of the process of leaving one place called home and moving to another place that will be called home for a while.

Still, in other news, my mom just told me that she had given my brother a gas card (We have this program called Script at church where you can buy different cards to businesses and then part of the money you spend goes to support the church/school.) and he brought it back with 5 cents on it. Ha... and my mom kept it to use it again. I would like to see the amount of gas that 5 cents buys in the world of $2.35 a gallon.

And something cool from the Gospel reading today: "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." - Matthew 13:45-46.

I didn't understand that parable for a long time. But today it struck me, "God's kingdom is greater than EVERYTHING else I have COMBINED." Maybe that should be obvious, but today it hit me like I had never read it before. Thinking of this was appropriate for the day as I had just been part of a discussion on persecution, talking with someone who was afraid they would give in and deny God if any one threatened her life or the lives of her family. I've had those fears too. But what a comfort when we remember that, regardless of our trials or persecutions, the greatest thing, God's kingdom given to us through Jesus Christ, remains the greatest thing. And God tells us, though we are weak, He is strong. It can be our prayer, a prayer I do not doubt that God will answer with a big YES, that when/if that day of severe persecution comes, God would give us the strength and peace to stand firm and faithful in Him.

Plus, when fears creep in, as unfortunately, on this side of heaven, I think they will, God tells us that His love drives out fear. (1 John 4:18) He tells us that we'll have trouble but to "Take heart!" because He has overcome the world. (John 16:33)

And speaking of persecution, someone was talking about Hebrews 11 the other day. We have a huge "cloud of witnesses" surrounding us, all the brothers and sisters of the faith gone before us. I think God teaches and encourages us so much through their stories.

Another neat story about people rejoicing through persecution is in Acts 5: 17-42. I had a professor who talked about that story once, and it's been one of my favorite ever since.

Okay. I'm going to take this point to say that sometimes I just write, and I want to be kept accountable. If I ever say anything that doesn't "jive" with God's Word or that you just think is wrong, please call me on it. Thanks much!

Have a blessed day. Maybe find a new simple pleasure. May I suggest putting on "Beautiful One" by Jeremy Camp, dancing to it like a 4 year old (which would incorporate a lot of spinning moves), then writing a cheesy poem about it?

"May our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God our Father, who loved us and by His grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word." - 2 Thessalonians 2:16

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! Cisco visio template Paxil not for sale

2:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home